Current:Home > ScamsFederal Trade Commission's request to pause Microsoft's $69 billion takeover of Activision during appeal denied by judge -WealthGrow Network
Federal Trade Commission's request to pause Microsoft's $69 billion takeover of Activision during appeal denied by judge
Surpassing Quant Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 07:22:07
A federal judge in Northern California has denied a request from the Federal Trade Commission to pause Microsoft's $69 billion deal to buy Activision Blizzard while the FTC appeals the acquisition.
U.S. District Judge Jacqueline Scott Corley ruled Tuesday that Microsoft's pending takeover of the video game giant can move forward, against the FTC's wishes.
In court filings Wednesday, the FTC said it was appealing Corley's decision to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit. However, in an order issued Thursday, Corley denied the FTC's motion to put Microsoft's purchase of Activision, maker of the popular "Call of Duty" game series, on hold while that appeal moves forward.
Microsoft and Activision had previously indicated that a deadline of July 18 had been set to complete the acquisition.
The two companies first announced the deal back in January 2022. The FTC, which is responsible for enforcing antitrust laws, said in December it was suing to block the sale, saying at the time that such a deal would "enable Microsoft to suppress competitors to its Xbox gaming consoles and its rapidly growing subscription content and cloud-gaming business."
In her ruling Tuesday, Corley wrote that "the FTC has not raised serious questions regarding whether the proposed merger is likely to substantially lessen competition in the console, library subscription services, or cloud gaming markets."
The trial in the FTC's lawsuit, which is slated to take place in the FTC's own in-house court, is scheduled to start in August, according to The Associated Press. The FTC's request to Corley for an injunction was an effort to block the merger before that trial starts.
If the deal goes through, it would be the largest acquisition of a video game company in U.S. history.
— Irina Ivanova contributed to this report.
- In:
- Activision Blizzard
- Microsoft
veryGood! (35168)
Related
- Selena Gomez engaged to Benny Blanco after 1 year together: 'Forever begins now'
- Julianne Moore’s Son Caleb Freundlich Engaged to Kibriyaá Morgan
- Former Super Bowl MVP, Eagles hero Nick Foles retiring after 11-year NFL career
- 'It Ends with Us': All the major changes between the book and Blake Lively movie
- The FTC says 'gamified' online job scams by WhatsApp and text on the rise. What to know.
- Chicago White Sox, with MLB-worst 28-89 record, fire manager Pedro Grifol
- 16-year-old Quincy Wilson to make Paris Olympics debut on US 4x400 relay
- Indian wrestler Vinesh Phogat abruptly retires after disqualification at Olympics
- This was the average Social Security benefit in 2004, and here's what it is now
- Taylor Swift cancels Vienna Eras tour concerts after two arrested in alleged terror plot
Ranking
- The city of Chicago is ordered to pay nearly $80M for a police chase that killed a 10
- Sam Edelman Shoes Are up to 64% Off - You Won’t Believe All These Chic Finds Under $75
- Elle King opens up about Dolly Parton, drunken Opry performance: 'I'm still not OK'
- Average rate on a 30-year mortgage falls to 6.47%, lowest level in more than a year
- The FTC says 'gamified' online job scams by WhatsApp and text on the rise. What to know.
- Tennis Star Rafael Nadal Shares Honest Reason He Won’t Compete at 2024 US Open
- Monarch Capital Institute's Core Blueprint: J. Robert Harris's Vision for Financial Excellence
- 2024 Olympics: Runner Noah Lyles Says This Will Be the End of His Competing After COVID Diagnosis
Recommendation
Spooky or not? Some Choa Chu Kang residents say community garden resembles cemetery
Sam Edelman Shoes Are up to 64% Off - You Won’t Believe All These Chic Finds Under $75
Why Kansas City Chiefs’ Harrison Butker Is Doubling Down on Controversial Speech Comments
Parents of 3 students who died in Parkland massacre, survivor reach large settlement with shooter
Louvre will undergo expansion and restoration project, Macron says
Colin Jost abruptly exits Olympics correspondent gig
16-year-old Quincy Wilson to make Paris Olympics debut on US 4x400 relay
Tell Me Lies' Explosive Season 2 Trailer Is Here—And the Dynamics Are Still Toxic AF